Who We Are
Literacy Volunteers of Bangor is dedicated to helping Bangor area adults who want either to work on basic English skills or to learn English as another language. Our student-centered methods reduce barriers and get results.
Since 1969, we have helped change the lives of adults, one at a time. Literacy Volunteers is affiliated with ProLiteracy, the world’s largest non governmental adult literacy organization.
Literacy Volunteers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our part-time staff orchestrates the efforts of more than 600 students, tutors, and volunteers. We are overseen by a Board of Directors drawn from the community.
Literacy Volunteers of Bangor strengthens our community by providing free English language tutoring to Bangor area adults.
Our Core Values
We affirm the following as guiding principles for everything we do:
- Literacy is a civil right, the foundation of democracy.
- There is no substitute for the caring heart of a volunteer.
- Everyone has the right to access lifelong learning opportunities.
- Barriers are challenges to be eliminated.
- We believe in readiness instead of compliance.
- There is no such thing as an average learner, and there is no such thing as the best way to learn.
- We seek to change the direction of students’ lives without judgment, not to change their lives.
- We provide opportunities for lifelong learning, not remedial education.
- Adults expect and deserve individualized, personalized education.
- Mistakes are opportunities to learn.
- The adult learning process is a teacher/student partnership and relationship.
- The process begins by starting where the adult learner is.
Our history includes the busy mother of three preschoolers who couldn’t say no to a nun. The woodsman who signed his name with a X. The immigrant student who became a major supporter. And hundreds more.
For over 50 years, our story has been one of extraordinary people filled with grit and dedication — volunteers, students, and donors. They made us one of the first volunteer literacy programs in the country, and they keep us moving steadily into the future. Click here to read their fascinating stories.
Annual Report Cards
Each year, we compile results of our programming year. We assess how many students we’ve served, what types of goals they have reached, how many volunteers support this mission with their time, and how we’re doing financially.
These Annual Report Cards are quick snapshots that represent our progress and are accessible to the public. Click below to see how we’re doing.
Mary Marin Taylor
Board of Directors
VP Alumni Engagement, Annual Giving, & Advancement Communications (retired)
Financial Aid Administrator
University of Maine
City of Old Town
Brewer School System
Human Resources (retired)
University of Maine System
Financial Services (retired)
John Lopez Valencia
Bangor Savings Bank
Client Service Associate
The Bedworks of Maine
Consultant / Corporate Trainor